Sunday, March 13, 2011

Growing up with Farol Freeman and family.

Dear family: On the 26th we were invited to celebrate with friends and family, Farol's 80th birthday, and it was a lot of fun. I wrote the following to include in her book of memories which her children and grandchildren put together to give her. Her real birthday is on the 31st of March, so if you missed her party, you can still call her and wish her a happy birthday today, if you are inclined to do so. Just a thought. Or you could send her an email at farollf@hotmail.com . Have a wonderful day, and know that we love you very much. Your friend and brother. Jim
Subject: Heart Thoughts by Jim - Growing up with Farol Freeman and family.

Dear Farol and family: I have been thinking for a while now, about growing up with Blaine, Farol, Irene, Ruby, Jennie, Ralph, Helen, Raymond, Sharon, and Rex, and thinking of all the good times we spent together as a family. And I thought I would like to share with you my feelings of having a big brother and four older sisters to help me learn the things I needed to learn as a child, and as a son of James Horald Lee and Jennie May Woodbury Lee, our wonderful parents.
Being ten years younger than Blaine, and eight years younger than you, and six years younger than Irene, and four years younger than Ruby, and two years younger than Jennie, I often felt how very lucky I was to have a big brother and four beautiful sisters to look up to, and to learn from, being the sixth of eleven children. How lucky for me.
I'm so glad that Mom was such a great photographer, and spent so much time taking great pictures to help us recall the good times we spent together, and the many fun picnics at the beach when we lived in Oceanside, and then up the canyon where we had home made root beer, which we put in the creek to make them cold overnight, and then waking up in the morning only to find them missing, having been washed down stream.
I remember one day when we had this big inner tube that was much taller than me, and all my older sisters and my brother tried to get me to go out with them, and telling me that it would be okay. I finally took them up on it, and we went out a ways on the tube, then the big wave came along and turned the tube upside down, dumping me in the water over my head, and feeling like I was going to drown, but thanks to some strong family members, I was rescued from drowning, and was taken back to the beech, where I remained for the remainder of the day. No more inner tube for me.
I remember how we used to walk along the beech at Oceanside, and look for shells to bring home so mom could make them into little people or animals which she so loved to do. And getting sunburned very badly, but not badly enough to keep me from going back out on the beech the next day, looking for more treasures.
I remember one time when you came to our home in Idaho, and was in the process of painting quilt squares for mom, and how very amazed I was at how very real those flowers looked, almost like you could smell the fragrance. And how very fun it was to have such a talented sister in our family. I also remember the tie you painted for dad with a picture of mom on it, which he loved to wear.
I remember dad telling me about the picture you painted of him and Blaine which hung on their wall in the living room, and how one of Ruby's girls came and stood in front of dad, and looked at the picture a few minutes, then said, "Grandpa, who is that?" He looked up, and then said, "That's me." She looked at him and then she looked at the picture of him which was behind him on the wall, then she said to him, "Is that when you was new?" How fun. Dad always chuckled when sharing that little experience.
I remember when you came to our house, and painted a picture of Kathy, our daughter, and how very special it was, and is, to have such a talented lady and sister in our family, to be our big sister. As I have reviewed some of mom's pictures, I see that there are some very special photos which she took of you and Blaine, and others of our family, and just to look at them, brings back a flood of memories, many of which I had totally forgotten.
Growing up in a family of eleven children, having six sisters and four brothers, me being right in the middle of them all, was an experience to remember, and one I am so glad to be a part of in this life, and hopefully for eternity. What a blessing.
And what a special memory this gathering of family and friends is, to celebrate your 80th birthday, and to get acquainted with members of your family, your beautiful daughters, granddaughters, grandsons, etc., and to share a special family reunion with all whom we have grown to love and appreciate through the years together. Thank you dear Farol, for the memories, and for being a great sister, who always has a smile on her face, and love in her heart, no matter what her circumstance is in life. We love you very much, and we congratulate you on living close to our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, our older brother, and for the great example you have been throughout our lives, and for all you yet will do to bless our lives. God bless you this day and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment