Monday, March 14, 2011

Agnes Isadore Bickley Woodbury history

Dear family: Here is a life story by Agnes Isadore Bickley Woodbury, written in 1938, she and Grandpa Woodbury's 40th weddinganniversary. It was copied from a disk from Steve and Sheri Naylor. Have a wonderful day. Jim

May 3, 1938, this being our 40th wedding anniversary and having finished my parental histories, I am going to recall some of the incidents in my own life.

I, Agnes Isadore Bickley Woodbury was born 28 Feb. 1876 in this home located in the northwest corner of Beaver City, Beaver County, Utah. Before it was finished carpets and quilts were hung on the windows and doors to keep out the cold.

I can’t remember much about my life before I was six only that I attended Sunday school and primary but I shall never forget my first day in school, father had paid my tuition and bought me a notebook and pencil and of course my big sister, May, took care of them for me. Our regular teacher was detained for a few days and I was under the supervision of the principal. Barlow Ferguson in the same room with May and I went to her to get my notebook and pencil without permission and was very much surprised to get a crack across the back with a willow the principal wielded. That taught me a lesson that always stayed with me to respect authority, but I couldn’t ever forget the punishment, I was indeed happy when our teacher Aunt Lou Dalton, as we children lovingly called her, arrived and we found a really kind, fine understanding teacher.

We lived 10 long blocks from that “Old Central School” house and we children suffered a great deal as we had very severe winters and the terrible north winds and awful blizzards and deep snow was almost more than we could stand. I don’t remember just how long we trudged back and forth to that school house but I do remember the terrible hot aches when my hands began to thaw out when I reached home. I was indeed happy when they finally moved me to the old “rock school house” just 4 blocks from home. I had many thrilling experiences in this one room building, lighted with coal oil lamps and heated as best they could by fireplaces which were in both ends.

I gained part of my testimony of the gospel there as for a number of years under the supervision of Bishop John H. Smith a testimony meeting was held every Thursday night. The older people spoke of the early rise of the church and their experiences and hardships crossing the plains and settling up Utah were related and prayers, tears and praises mingled together with the beautiful and inspiring hymns that we all joined in singing. I enjoyed every one and always looked forward to these meetings as I did to the cottage meetings held in the homes.

I can’t ever remember when I didn’t have a testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. I can remember as well as if it was yesterday when on the 3 July 1884, my father took me down in the field where there was a big patch of willows and a deep swimming hole in the big field ditch and baptized me and as I sat by the ditch while bishop John H.Smith confirmed me a member of this wonderful church and I’m thankful to say that thrill has stayed with me and my testimony has grown stronger and stronger until today I can truthfully say I know that God lives and answers prayers. That Jesus Christ is the only begotten son and that he redeemed us from death. That Joseph Smith really and truly beheld the Father and the Son in person. That he was a true Prophet, Seer and Revelator and an instrument in the hands of the Lord in restoring the gospel in the last dispensation of the fullness of times and that each President since has been true Prophets, Seers and Revelators and that the judgments of God will soon be poured out upon the world and that the glories of this gospel can only be obtained by living for them by obedience to the laws and ordinances upon which these blessings are predicated, by being prayerful and humble and studying the scriptures with a prayerful heart.

I went with father on one of his trips to Salt Lake City, with his best-loved team “Prince and Duke” in a white top buggy. I think he was selling Kimball organs. We went from Beaver through the settlements Fillmore and Provo and came back by Manti. I was thrilled when father took me up the winding stairs and out on top of the L.D.S. Temple. Then we went up the stairs in the tower to the top and had a view from there. I was only a child and little dreamed of the wonderful work that was going on inside of that beautiful building. We returned through Clear Creek Canyon and I shall never forget the feeling as we neared the narrows and I couldn’t see any way to get through the enormous perpendicular walls of stone but there the road was following in the creek for some distance in this narrow gorge. I’ve been that way many times since but never quite so excited.

Mother tried to go to Salt Lake at least once a year to either April or October conference and she took us children with her therefore I can remember many of the early scenes. I can remember when the streetcars were drawn by horses. I attended the big carnival also the jubilee held there also was at the dedication of the L.D.S. Temple and had many other delightful experiences. We traveled 33 miles by team to the station at Milford then took the train. It would take too long to tell all of the interesting experiences of my girlhood but I’ll mention a few of them.

There were the 2 trips we took to summer school by team. One to Fish Creek up Clear Creek Canyon where in the summer we walked over huge drifts of snow, and had such a delightful time for a week listening to wonderful programs in the daytime and huge bonfire meetings at night. Where when the week was up, we had our testimonies greatly strengthened. The other people were all leaving and we were all packed ready to start and was waiting for will to bring the horses that had to be hobbled out to graze. He had been out all morning and finally at noon he returned without the horses and said he had hunted everywhere and he couldn’t find them, that they must have gone home. Mother couldn’t stand the thoughts of being left there alone as most everyone had gone. She got out a large blanket and we fastened it around some trees and put a spring seat in there and we all went in there and knelt down around the seat and each one of us petitioned the Lord to hear our prayers, and Mother always having lots of faith poured out her soul to the Lord, then we went out and there just a little way from camp, in full view, were both horses. We didn’t forget to thank our Heavenly Father for answering our prayers. The other one was held at Panguitch Lake and we sure enjoyed the lovely outing.

There was always something interesting going on and the lovely programs and socials were thoroughly enjoyed by all. The trips we took in the mountains to gather wild raspberries. The wonderful May Day Festivals held in the grove at Fort Cameron, where the May Queen was crowned and a lovely program rendered and where there were several large swings and other sports. The townspeople all turned out in their wagons and were sure to have their dinner baskets well filled. The trip to Salt Lake City to attend the great musical “Estedfod” it would probably be called today a contest. Also, the one held in Parowan where all the choristers and their choirs were invited to attend and where the choirs of 5 counties met and sang in unison “Let the Hills Resound with Song”.

The many trips taken through the county as the Stake Sunday School Secretary. The years spent with Bessie taking care of the store while mother was on her trips dispensing useful articles all through the county from Sulfur Beds on the north to Frisco on the west, the dances and theatres held in the “Old Field’s Hall”.

The time a transient man came to Beaver with a graphaphone, later changed to phonograph. It was a small box he held in his hands with several pairs of ear phones, each one wanting to listen to a tune paid a nickel and received a cord with a small pencil-like tube attached to place in each ear, then the music would start as soon as he got enough and what a thrill! No one around could hear so everybody was anxious to buy a chance. Years before this father bought a music box for us. He wound it up and touched a little lever and it would play 10 distinct tunes without stopping.

The many delightful homecomings of father when he always brought candy and books for us. The terrible sick spell I had when I had bilious fever. The long convalescence and loss of my hair, but when it came in again it was curly. In 1890 when I was 14, I was asked to teach the kindergarten class in Sunday school, and taught till I was married and moved away. I was also invited to join the choir the same year and sang soprano. I sang a number of solos in the anthems under the leadership of Robert Stoney. The next year father returned from England where he had performed a mission for the church and he was appointed chorister and I continued to sing under his leadership till I was married. I sang in the choir on and off till I came to Hinckley. I worked as councilor in the Y.L.M.I.A. (Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association) for some time, as stake secretary for the Sunday School and on the old folks committee for a number of years.

I attended school in the central schoolhouse, the Rock SchoolHouse, the Belknap and the academy held in the assembly hall. There were no grades in those days, the classes were known as primer, first, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th readers. Parents paid for each child’s tuition and bought all books pencils etc. needed for school. We used slates and slate pencils and they were very handy as lessons could be erased so easily when we were done with them. The older children used large double slates, which was much better to keep lessons for the next day on.

I always loved the fine church organizations I was a constant member of. Father was a splendid musician and always kept a small organ to take when he and Will and May went to play for dances but he also got a small pipe organ, one stop when pulled out produced bells, which sounded very pretty. I could always play by ear and could pick out lots of pieces of music and songs and spent much time at the organ, as I loved to play and sing. I spent one very pleasant summer with my sister May who married Joseph S. Nelson and lived there.

On the 30 April, 1898 my sister Bessie and her husband and baby Le Grande and the young man of my choice and I started from Beaver to St. George, in a covered wagon drawn by a work team, to be married in the temple and we all went through on the 3 May, 1898 and I was married to Charles Robert Goddard Woodbury. As in those days they only went through one session a day and we wanted to impress the ceremonies on our mind we took a name for the dead and went through the next day again, it took us 3 days to come home and when we arrived home a little late the choir members were all there to surprise us and we had a lovely party. They presented us with a nice center table which we still have. About a week later the relatives and friends were invited to a hot wedding supper and reception and we received many beautiful and useful presents and spent a very lovely evening.

As Charles had rented a farm for the summer up north creek we moved our furniture which he had bought before we were married out there and started housekeeping. We spent the summer and fall up there then came to mother’s where on Feb.. 22, 1899, a 12 lb. baby boy was born to us. He however only stayed with us a short time as he took pneumonia and passed away on Mar. 17 and was laid away in the Mountain View Cemetery. As he was born on Washington’s birthday, my father insisted on naming him George Washington. Early in the spring we moved out to Lincoln mine where Charles had a contract to put in cordwood. We stayed out there nearly a year then the mine filled up with water and had to close down, so we moved back to Beaver and rented a house but just got the garden coming up nice when a man came and told us he had bought the place and we had to get out. Mr. Marshall was moving away and wanted to sell his house and lot. It was a log house with one large room and a kitchen and a small room leading into the cellar. I said I would rather live in a dugout of my own than a palace belonging to someone else, so we bought it and started improving it. We planted a nice lawn and trees and flower garden near the house and a good garden in the lot. The next year we planted a fine orchard of different kinds of fruit trees and 2 rows of English red currants and had plenty of room for a large patch of potatoes. Charles built a barn to keep hay in for our team and 2 milk cows and we raised a few chickens each year and were very happy in our own home.

On Aug. 20,1900 another fine boy came to bless our home. We named him for his Grandmother and Grandfather Woodbury - Francis Nelson. Charles bought some land in the field and also a pasture for the cows to feed in, in the summer time on nov.7 1902 a little black haired daughter was born and we named her Jennie May. The next to be born was a little light haired daughter on the 12 Dec 1904 - we named her Zola. Irma came along in her turn on 12 Nov 1907. Although we were very happy and had had many delightful times in our home with our family we found that our brood had outgrown the nest so we had three new rooms built on the north, one large parlor and 2 bedrooms and a hall. I was so proud of it and had the large room papered and were happy indeed when a little brown eyed boy came to us on May 31,1914,we named him William Franklin. Now we had room for it we bought a fine new organ and although I had a small one I was sure delighted with the new one.

As Joseph had bought a farm at Indian Creek, 6 miles north of Beaver and Mr. Farnsworth wanted to sell us his farm we bought it and moved out there but we didn’t sell our home in town. Practically all of my married life I had worked in the primary organization so when we arrived there they came and asked me to be president of their primary. The schoolhouse wasn’t finished yet and as we had the largest house in town the Sunday School and primary for several months was held in our home. After the schoolhouse was completed they were held there. We had many good times in there. The neighbors used to come in every few evenings and I played the organ and we all sang hymns and the children would play games till bedtime.

Charles had had a bad stomach practically all of his life and the doctor said he must come to Beaver and have an operation and we were glad we had our home which was cleaned, sterilized and aired and he was operated on. They thought he had appendicitis but when the got him open, they found it was something else causing the trouble although doctor McGregor examined practically every organ in his body, he couldn’t find the trouble. He got a pus case and it was 6 weeks before he could come home.

This was the second summer we were out there and I did all I could to keep things going and was very glad when he came to oversee things. On Jan. 17, 1917, Donald Charles was born there. The name had been changed from Indian Creek to Manderfield, the name it still has. We enjoyed the association of the good people out there but owing to my husband’s health and farming being too hard for him we sold the farm and moved back to Beaver in April but they refused to release him as superintendent of their Sunday School, so for several months we took the whole family in the white top buggy and went out every Sunday morning and had many delightful visits. I had been released from the primary so when I got back home to live I was set apart as councilor to Mary Goodwin to labor in the primary the position I held till I came to Hinckley. I was also a teacher in the Relief Society till I came here. I played the organ many times for the singing in both organizations.

On May 21,1915, dear little Karl was born but owing to a terrible fall I had he was only permitted to stay with us 10 hours. He was a beautiful child and it was hard at the time to lose him. Also dear little George but I am thankful now that they are safe with our Heavenly Father and I know if I can only prove true to every ordinance of the gospel I shall have the privilege of raising them in the Celestial Kingdom of Heaven. They are lying side by side in the Mountain View Cemetery at Beaver City.

Life went on as usual. Our orchard was bearing fruit and each summer the currant bushes were red with currants. We were happy together. Francis attended the Murdock academy at Fort Cameron and I had the privilege of attending many lovely programs and lectures and other entertainment up there. I had a nice one seated buggy and a fine horse to draw it and enjoyed many lovely rides through the fields and many other places. He was so gentle till one day Francis was driving home from the academy when a smart alec who had injured his foot and carried a crutch came up behind him on a motorcycle and punched the horse in his side with his crutch and the horse ran away but Francis didn’t tell me about the incident and later when I was coming home from town a motorcycle came behind us and away he went at full speed. I clung to the lines with all my might but I couldn’t do anything with him but Francis saw what was happening and got on his wheel and other people came to my rescue and before the crash came they got him stopped. That was the last time I drove him and Charles sold him to a ranchman who said he’d take a chance.

Nov. 2, 1916 another dear little daughter came to bless our home. We named her Vilda Marie. That made us a pretty nice little family. We used to gather round the organ and sing Sunday School songs and many popular songs, like “Love at Home”, especially on Sunday morning. This created a feeling of love and togetherness in the home. After father was made Patriarch, many people coming there remarked on the feeling there. One lady wanted to come and help mother just so she could have that feeling of holiness. Once a month we held our home evenings where the neighbor children were invited in and we had a room full the children. We looked forward to these evenings and prepared parts for the programs, we usually invited a pioneer to come and give experiences of the early rise of the church, here in Utah, and other places and we also sometimes had the ward teachers meet with us and had many pleasant evenings. After the programs and talks we played games. Long before Vilda could say a word one day I was holding her on my lap she surprised me by humming the Sunday school song we had so often sung in the home, “Welcome, Welcome, Sabbath Morning”.

We enjoyed the many visits from Father and Mother, who always spent part of practically every Sunday eating either dinner or supper and sometimes both meals with us. The pleasant memories of her cheerful sayings and songs which I usually accompanied on the organ while she lay comfortably on the couch as she was so crippled and father’s enjoyment of the new organ. He often visited us on his business trips around town. Mother was always proud to say she owed no man a dollar and this seemed true of other things as she always brought something to contribute to the menu when she came to spend the day with us. There was a camp house on the place when we bought it and we kept it and many people stopped there. We made many fine acquaintances. One day a man and woman stopped there, traveling from place to place showing moving pictures. They came once a month and brought the first moving pictures ever shown in Beaver, and we enjoyed them more than anything we had ever seen as all we had ever seen before were magic lantern slides or panoramas. These pictures were silent but moving and we were all thrilled.

Charles spent a great deal of his time in the mountains, as his health was better up there. One summer he came down and got the family and we spent 12 delightful days. Another time our family and 2 or 3 other families went up the canyon to spend a few days at Puffers Lake. On our way up we came to a crew of men putting in a very large water pipe across the road to carry water to run the Teleroid Power Plant which they were installing on the Beaver River. We got out and helped push the wagons over as the horses had to be unhitched and taken away up on the mountain to cross. The scenery was beautiful and we enjoyed our outing immensely and when we returned the road was ok that is the plant that furnishes our electric power.

On the 21 March 1917 was father’s and mother’s golden wedding day and on our way to the celebration we called in and had a family group picture and I saved one for each of the children. We had a very enjoyable wedding party and Father and Mother were very happy but it wasn’t to last long as on the 8th of Aug., that same summer Mother sent for me to come, as Father was very sick. I hurried down and found the doctor there and father in terrible pain. I followed the doctor’s instructions to the letter. About midnight he got easy and fell asleep, when all was quiet mother told me I had better go home as I had a baby. The next morning I sent Jennie down to see how he was and he was feeling fine. I sent her again in the afternoon and mother said he had eaten a bowl of gruel and had dismissed the doctor. He went to sleep in his chair and in a few minutes I got a call from a neighbor that he had died. This was a terrible shock to us all especially to mother.

That same summer, Charles came to Hinckley to look at his brother’s store which he wanted to sell, and was very much impressed with the people and there was a church school here and we had a family to educate and as the Millard Academy was a fine school he made several trips then decided to buy it. In Oct, Jennie came up and clerked with Joseph ‘till her father could sell our property and make arrangements to move. The Relief Society gave a lovely farewell for us with a lovely program and refreshments, in the Relief Hall. A few days later the primary officers came to our home and gave us another pleasant surprise and we had a lovely evening with games, speeches and refreshments. They presented me with a set of silver teaspoons, which I still have. They also handed with them to me this note of loving remembrance dear sister Woodbury, accept this small gift of love and esteem which we as a band of sisters hold you most dear and we pray God’s choicest blessings upon you and yours in the new home to which you are going. We want you to use this gift daily and think of the loving friends you left behind who will always have a warm spot in their hearts for you, signed, Mary Goodwin, Nellie Morgan, Cathie Muir, Nora white, Eliza Gunn, Lillie Morgan, Tina Dean, Effie White, Josie Morgan, Mamie Goodwin, Mary Rogerson, Mamie Skinner and Kate Jenson we had had many good times together and loved each other and I still have fond memories of our associations together.

On Nov.7 Charles started for Hinckley with the team and wagon and white top buggy and some furniture leaving the family to come Monday with Francis in the old Metzcar but after he had gone, Irma came down with small pox and of course we were all quarantined. There was no anti toxin in town and we all came down. I was a perfect mass of sores and suffered terribly from itching, the smaller children had it real light but Francis and Zola were very ill. We were quarantined 8 weeks, and then I was afraid to come for fear I’d bring a germ up here but as the weather in spite of it being December was warm and sunny I aired the bedding every day and used lots of disinfectants and as about the middle of Jan. 1918 it started to cloud up ready for a storm we piled into the car and said farewell to the home that had sheltered us so long and was filled with loving memories, also our dear neighbors and friends who were there to bid us God speed and started for our new home.

We had some trouble, then when we got between Holden and Hinckley the friction wheel dropped under the car and we were out in a strange country broke down but soon a man came along going to Holden and he, having just come from Charles store said he would call him and tell him our plight. We sat there 4 hours then La Grande Law came and towed us in. We were very glad to be at our journey’s end. Joseph hadn’t gone and we wanted to move in the house he was going to vacate so we lived for a while in the back room of the store. About a week later he went and we moved in the house which Alma Langston now owns.

Brother Farnsworth of Beaver wrote to his daughter Eda Bishop and told her we were coming and to put me to work in the primary. So before we got settled sister Thurber came and asked me to be her councilor, I accepted and worked with her ‘till she moved away. Then Eda Bishop was appointed as president and I worked as councilor her ‘till she moved to Delta and we were all released again. The Bishop asked me if I wanted to be President but I wasn’t very well so, was excused. I was then asked to act as Relief Society Chorister, and District Teacher and accepted both positions and labored for several years as chorister but when my asthma got so bad I had to be released but kept on as teacher and I’m proud to say, my district has never missed being visited by myself and my partner, me alone or I always got someone else to do it when I wasn’t able. I suffered terribly with asthma for 4 years coughing nearly all the time. One night I coughed so hard I broke something in my back. The doctor said I had loosened the ligaments. I lay on my back for 30 hours. Charles consecrated some olive oil and administered to me and every time I had to cough he gave me a spoonful and by the time my back was better, I was healed of asthma and never had a touch of it since. That was another great testimony to me and I have often thanked my Heavenly Father for my blessings I have received through prayer.

We lived in the Peterson home where we moved to when Joseph vacated it ‘till March of 1918 then as R.E. Robinson wanted to sell this home where we live and although it needed lots of repair work we bought it. He took the team and wagon and harnesses as part pay and we paid the rest cash. We had a large family and needed a big house and this one had 8 rooms on one floor we had 2 good wells the water being piped to the sink from one and the other at the corral. There was a large lawn and lots of shade. We had the walls plastered - a new floor put in the front room also front porch and lights put in. Later when the town was paving the sidewalks we had one put from the corner to the porch. As the lot was over 2 acres and outbuildings scattered over it, and it was not very even and not producing, we had the buildings moved and the land leveled and planted alfalfa in the available land and now we raise all the hay we need for our cow. We also have a garden.

Francis went to Idaho to work that summer and married there. The older children attended Millard Academy and I enjoyed all the programs there, better citizen’s week each year for about 12 years. Also dances, plays and sports. Jennie graduated from the academy. Zola would have but her father took seriously ill in 1924 and she had to stay out to clerk in the store and then got married and has a nice family. The other children attended district school. The academy was changed to Hinckley High School. Irma, Don and Vilda graduated from there.

Nearly every year since we came to Hinckley, we have been to Manti to work in the temple. We have also worked in the Salt Lake, St. George, and Logan Temples. We have enjoyed the work and been made very happy doing work for our dead ancestors.

For 2 years, Charles used a buckboard to get his freight from Oasis for the store. Then we got a truck. We then had many delightful trips. We put in plenty of food and bedding and had a seat made for the back and took all the children but one to help in the store and camped wherever we wanted. I always wanted the children to enjoy what we did. The first time we went over to Manti, we came home by Clear Creek Canyon and I wanted the children to see the beautiful temple and make the trip we had.

On June 13,1921, a few weeks after our return, Charles came home and said “get ready and we’ll take that trip” and I got busy and we started right after dinner and went to Nephi and camped. Early the next morning, we drove to Manti and cleaned up and went to the temple and had Don baptized. Then an attendant took us all through the temple and let the children look at the beautiful pictures and brother Jacobsen told them this story:

When the church was looking for a place to build a temple, all the towns around Manti thought it should be at their town. But President Young and the men that were with him climbed upon that mountain and President Young pointing his cane to a spot said, “this is the spot to build the temple”. It was made known to him that when Moroni was on the earth he had put his staff down there and prophesied “some day a temple will be built on this spot”. We were all taken up the spiral stairs and out on top and up to the lookout steeple. Charles carried Vilda and I stayed behind on top of the temple, as that was too steep a climb for me. When brother Jacobsen finished telling the story to the children he said, “now, you can tell your friends, you stood on the ground where Moroni stood”.

We found a shady place and had dinner. Then, around through Richfield and into Clear Creek Canyon where we made our camp. The next morning, we took our breakfast with us and as soon as we could see started up the mountain to Kimberly and climbed up where Charles used to haul gold bars. There were snowdrifts. We rode around and enjoyed the scenery then packed up and came home tired but happy.

We always went to Beaver for Decoration Day and back at night. We went to Bryce and Zion’s Canyon then over to Cedar Breaks, then to Hurricane and back to St. George for the homecoming. When the big flood came down Ogden Canyon and did so much damage to homes, farms and property in Farmington and the Lagoon Resort, we took the children up to see what a flood was like. Great boulders were washed all over many of the fields. One large one nearly as large as a car it looked like was standing by the highway. Houses were washed away and crops ruined, and great damage was evident at the resort as the flood had passed right through it. We took the children to Salt Air Resort and the children had great sport. We spent a few days with my sister May Nelson at Draper then home after a lovely trip.

For a number of years every summer the stake held an outing in Oak Creek Canyon—where all the people in the stake that could come, came prepared to stay 3 days and the canyon was always filled with campers, for miles up and down the creek. The children and I always went and had a wonderful time. There was always a fine program held in the morning, sports in the afternoon and bonfire and program at night followed by a dance on the open-air floor. Often the Delta Band would give a band concert. As Charles was on the stake old folks committee and each ward was urged to have one day a year to entertain their old folks, the stake committee was always invited to attend. Most all of the wards had very splendid programs and dinners. Jacob Langston and wife, Edward Workman and wife and Charles and I usually attended and enjoyed it very much. That was how I learned so many humorous pieces, as I always had to recite two or more, both in the canyon at the outings also the old folks programs. Several times they got cars to take all the old folks on a tour through all the towns around the loop and back for dinner.

In April 1919, Bessie phoned and said she had received a phone call that mother was very ill with a stroke, she was going down and I could go if I could. We went down and found her in an awful condition I have written of her suffering in her history we stayed as she was so bad 10 weeks to take care of her and after she passed away and was laid to rest we peacefully settled the estate each receiving about $2000. I put most of mine into the store and didn’t have anything to show for it as the store burned down and it took the insurance to pay for the merchandise.

That winter I had a very bad case of flu, which lasted 6 weeks. Francis and Edith were here visiting and dear little Lohree took it and passed away on the 14 of Feb. 1920 and was laid away in the Hinckley Cemetery.

Soon after we came to Hinckley, we bought a player piano. It was a delight to the whole family we loved to play the mechanical music and sing the songs. The children had lots of friends who loved to come with them and play and sing too. Jennie, Irma and Vilda took piano lessons which has been a great blessing to Jennie as she could play sacred music so well and was always a great help in the many wards she has lived in and now although she has seven children she plays the pipe organ in California for the meetings.

When radios came on the market, Charles got me a little one-tube earphone set and had it installed. I was so thrilled I never could pull myself away from it to go to bed until midnight and often 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning—I have had several different ones since but never one that thrilled me like that one did. I could get stations all around the dial from Canada to Mexico, clear as a bell. We had 8 earphones and often had friends in sitting around that little set ‘till all the earphones were used and every one pleased to the utmost. I always did love music and it was wonderful I just couldn’t get enough.

I was set apart to labor in the Stake Genealogical Committee with Thomas H. Pratt Chairman and Pearl Lee, Secretary. We usually held the meetings here and I enjoyed them very much. On Jan.21 1930 we were all released after serving a number of years.

In 1926 our store burned to the ground which was a great loss to us but I was thankful it wasn’t our home. In my patriarchal blessing I was promised that my table would always be spread with the rich bounties of the land of Joseph and while we have never had much money I can never remember when we didn’t have plenty of food in the house and have never been entirely without money. We have always kept our tithes, fast offerings, ward maintenance paid up and the Lord blesses us as he has promised.

When we were married, both having been reared in prayerful homes, we started our lives together by having family prayer and felt safer each day and night after dedicating ourselves into the care of the Lord, and have faithfully kept up the practice and feel sure our prayers have been answered many times. We always observed the word of wisdom, also fast day requirements and tried in every way to be worthy of his blessings and the comfort, peace, and joy we have received is one of the promised blessings.

The forepart of Sept. 1933, Irma came home from California in her car on her vacation and Vilda and I accompanied her on a scenic trip. Charles would have gone too, but the car was a coupe and he would have had to ride in the rumble seat and he was afraid to go, as he wasn’t very well. We left Hinckley at 1:30 p.m. and went up through Clear Creek Canyon and through Marysvale and reached Bryce Canyon that night. The next morning after a delightful view of the beautiful and colorful canyon we packed up and started for the Grand Canyon of the Colorado. The roads were good and the scenery lovely and we reached there safe that night and got a good cabin. We were up early next morning to join the caravan headed by a very efficient guide who escorted us around the loop over wonderful woods through dense forests and explained the beauties of the grand colored scenery and the beautiful Painted Desert in the distance. We were thrilled beyond description. After our delightful trip of about 50 miles of thrills we got supper then went to the lodge to see the relics at the museum and watch the dancers and listen to the orchestra for a while. Then to bed for a well earned rest. We saw a great many deer at a distance but there was one large friendly one that roamed around among the cabins and was a pet. They called him “Big Bill”. That was the only one I ever saw with fur on his horns and it looked like they were covered with heavy velvet. The guide explained that towards mating time, they sharpen their horns and so rub all that covering off.

Early the next morning we started for Zion’s Canyon. The trip was grand. We had to get out of the car several times to look at the great stone mountains and when we reached the tunnel we received another grand thrill. Finally reached the park and prepared our lunch at one of the tables and was just finishing when it started to sprinkle. We hurried and put everything in the car and ran for the museum and just got there in time as the rain came down in torrents but we were safe and enjoyed looking at the pioneer relics etc ‘till the rain stopped and the sun came out and the caretaker said “come out here and look at the hills now”. We went and great waterfalls were pouring from many immense cliffs. We rode around a while enjoying the sights and mountain air.

Then came to St. George to visit relatives and to get some adjustments for Vilda from a chiropractor, which cured her terrible headaches. We stayed there 2 nights and had a nice visit. Then came home and found everything fine. Irma stayed several days to visit and when she was in her car and we were bidding her goodbye again she pressed an envelope in my hand and said “Mama this is for you to go to California and visit Jennie. Imagine my surprise to open it and find $80.00 I couldn’t hold back the tears of joy. I never thought I’d ever had a chance to see California but this made it possible. I wrote to Jennie and she said come for Christmas. I wanted Charles to go with me but he felt like he should stay home as he had some business to see to right then, but he might get away before I came home. I made preparations for the trip and on Dec 20 he took me over to the train and I left at 6:10 a.m. and was in Los Angeles at 10:20 p.m. Jennie met me there and we caught the streetcar and rode 15 miles to Venice. I was glad to see the 6 children and Jennie but Horald was away at work and didn’t get home while I was there which was a great disappointment to me. Utah was in the clutches of winter and looked very desolate, but when I got down there and before I went to bed, Jennie went out and picked a beautiful rose for me and when I awoke in the morning and saw the green grass everywhere and a long row of pink geraniums all out in bloom across the way it seemed grand to me.

Irma came in her car between 3 and 400 miles to spend the week with us and we sure had a grand time. We went in Jennie’s car when we all went and took our lunch to such places as “San Pedro Harbor” where we watched the big ships and barges and fishing boats which was a thrill to me. They were loading a large ship going to China. We came home through the beautiful city of long beach and up over signal hill where there were thousands of oil wells and over wonderful roads and rolling hills passing many farms where the peas were all in blossom and lettuce and celery beds nearly ready to harvest. Another time, we went to Griffith Park, a beautiful resort and many lovely trips along the beach and many other places. Several times, Irma took me in her car and we loved to ride along the beach and watch the huge waves rolling in. I shall never forget the beautiful Christmas decorations and the many lovely shows I went to, and our evenings spent up at Ocean Park.

We had planned to go down to Los Angeles to go through the museum Sunday afternoon then to “Angeles Temple” for the services at night but it started to rain. Irma had gone to the bakery for bread and when she came back she said, come on, mama, I want you to see a flood. So we got in her car and we started down the road and the farther we went the deeper the water got ‘till we were running through water up to the running board. Great streams pouring in every direction and it was still pouring down. We got dinner over and still it rained. The house was on high ground out away from the flood, so we talked it over and decided we would go to the museum anyhow so Jennie, Irma, Blaine and I got into Jennie’s car and found a road that wasn’t closed and went to Los Angeles. We visited the museum. The exhibits and everything in there was grand but when we came out every road to Venice was closed and we couldn’t go home. Jennie said if the rain would stop every road would be open in an hour, so we went to Los Angeles Temple the services were lovely as it was New Years Eve. The huge velvet drapes and painted windows and beautiful life like paintings of Mary and Joseph and the baby Jesus and the three wise men as they rode into Bethlehem on life sized camels to find the king of the Jews. This scene was right over the stages and all lighted up. The sermon was dramatized as it was preached and to me everything was beautiful. The choir was on each side of the stage. The male members in black with white ties, and shirts and the ladies on the other side dressed all in white decorated with tinsel and they sang lovely. The large pipe organ was down below in a pit and there was a large orchestra with it to accompany the choir.

After the services Jennie went out and it was still pouring so we stayed to witness a church wedding. The stage was piled with beautiful flowers and the bride and groom and all that accompanied them looked well dressed and everything was lovely. That was the first time I had watched a wedding march and witnessed a church wedding in my life and I was thrilled. Amy Semple McPherson performed the ceremony. She had an armful of beautiful red roses that showed up well against her beautiful white dress. We all went out after the wedding determined to find a way home. But when we got to the car, it was standing in a great stream of water. We all got in, but Jennie couldn’t start it, so she went to a garage and got a man and he couldn’t start it. He got someone to tow us to a garage and he worked and worked but couldn’t get it to go. Every road was closed so we went to a show. Jennie went out every few minutes to see if it had stopped but it still poured. Finally, early in the morning, it stopped raining and as I had a fall on the slippery garage floor and hurt my leg, Irma called a taxi and we went home and left the car there.

Everything was fine at home and the children were all sound asleep. Irma took Jennie back in her car to tow the other home but it started right off, so everything turned out o.k. for us but there was a terrible lot of damage done and lots of life lost in other places. As we went home in the taxi all along the road was stalled cars. When the sun came out we went out to see what damage had been done to lower places. Furniture, bedding, clothing and all kinds of things were out to dry even living room suits and the watermarks were up half way on the houses. We thought maybe if we took a street car we could go and see where so many houses had been washed away and cars and people were buried alive but there were policemen at every corner to turn people back as they were using snow plows to dig the cars and people and other things out and I’m sure it would have been a gruesome sight and I’m glad we didn’t see it.

After Irma went home I went over to Englewood and spent a few days with Dycie Frandson and enjoyed my visit with her and Loyal and Donnie. Jennie sure done all she could to show me a good time taking me to lots of good shows and lovely rides and I spent 6 lovely weeks in California but as all good things have to close sometime, I decided to come home for Charles birthday. So Jennie brought me to Los Angeles and I took the train about midnight and I arrived home safe on Jan. 31, 1934 and found everything all right.

That summer, Irma wrote she had bought a new two-seated car and was coming home to take us on a trip through Yellowstone and for us to be ready. I got busy and had everything all ready and watched and waited for her arrival on the day appointed, but she didn’t come and the next morning we received a telegram that she was in the hospital. She took her new car down to Oakland to have it serviced for her trip home but on her way back, she ran into a truck which demolished the car and she was taken to a bone specialist as her arm was so badly broken and she was under his care for eight months as the bone wouldn’t knit and finally I sent her name to the Temple and she got well. We were very thankful her life had been spared, as the car was so badly damaged it was sold for junk. We never go to bed at night without dedicating ourselves and all the children into our Heavenly Father’s care and feel that our prayers are often answered.

The summer passed and the holidays arrived. Brother James S. Blake, Charles, Joshua Bennett and I had played for old time dances in Hinckley, Delta, Sutherland, Sugarville, Abraham, Lynndyl and a number of old folks dances in Oak City Canyon, Brother Blake, Charles and Brother Bennett playing the harmonicas and for a change the accordion and Brother Bennett called for the Quadrills, and I accompanied them on the piano. We also played for lots of district school dances. As Oasis was having an old time dance for Christmas 1934, they asked us to play for it which we did. They had such a good crowd and everybody enjoyed themselves. They engaged us for their New Year’s dance and we played again. They gave me $1.75 and I had Myril Terry paint me a lovely mountain and water scene which I prize as it brings back many memories.

In the fall of 1935, Bro. Blake was in a very serious car accident which finally cost him his life. Irma got a new Dodge car and the next summer she came home still planning a trip so on Aug. 20, 1935 we accompanied her on her vacation. Charles, Mary, Sister Hutchison, Irma and I left Hinckley. The roads were good and we arrived in Provo about 5 p.m. and went up Provo canyon for lunch and saw the beautiful Bridal Veil Falls. After which we drove into Draper and saw May and left Mary and her mother at Taylorsville and went back to May’s and had a nice visit with her Monday night.

Tuesday morning we drove to Murray and visited Charles’ sister Libbie and had lunch and then to Salt Lake City to visit his other sister Rose. Then did some shopping and rode around a while then on to Lagoon where we looked around a bit and watched some fancy swimming, then on to Logan where we stayed in an auto camp.

We had never seen the Logan Temple so the next morning we got up early and went there and Charles and I went through a session and got out at 11:30 and spent some time viewing the beautiful grounds and was told that they were second in beauty to the Hawaiian Temple Grounds. The flowers were beautiful we took some pictures then went up Logan canyon a beautiful drive and had lunch. Here Irma decided to go to Yellowstone Park through Jackson Hole, Wyoming so we kept on through the canyon to Lakota Bear Lake, we were thrilled with the scenery but the roads were not so good. We went through part of Idaho and Wyoming then back to Idaho seeing farms all the way stretching from mountain to mountain. The dirt roads were steep and narrow and coming up one of them we got an awful scare. A caterpillar tractor was coming down carrying some wide road equipment across the front and we couldn’t see anyone and it looked like he was backing down so Irma backed her car right back onto the edge of a big river and let him pass and was relieved that he didn’t push us off the dugway. After a hard but eventful day we arrived at Victor, Idaho and stayed at the Victor Hotel. Thursday morning up early and on our way through terrible highways but marvelous scenery to Jackson Hole, where we looked around then on to Teton Forest. The mountains were dotted with snowdrifts and we were really up in the big timber country. We passed also Jackson Lakes and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

Finally we reached the south entrance to Yellowstone and stopped for information concerning the loop around the park, a 145-mile trip with numerous side roads to view sights off the loop of interest. We followed Yellowstone Lake for 45 miles, but the Lake is 125 miles long. Next we came to Fishing Bridge, a long bridge with people on both sides fishing. The geysers now begin. The mud geyser was a seething mass of mud then over to the dragon’s mouth which is continuously gushing water out which runs back, then across this beautiful scene at Chatterton Bridges over Yellowstone river to see the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone falls, from artists and inspiration points. We passed the afternoon seeing lakes, snow capped mountains geysers too numerous to mention. We stopped Thursday night at Roosevelt Lodge tired but very happy after a wonderful day. Friday morning up early to see the big bear they feed behind the lodge then back to see Tower Falls and the buffalo they have in a pasture. There were about 25 of them we had lunch in a grove of trees and saw another bear. I fed it cookies through the car window while Irma photographed it. After lunch we drove to Mammoth Hot Springs where we visited the museum and viewed the Mammoth terraces which were beautiful and very interesting.

Then we drove on past many small lakes and crossed the Snake and Yellowstone Rivers and Firehole River many times. I never saw so many lakes and rivers in my life and as I always loved water scenery the falls and wide rivers and lovely lakes were a delight to me. Everywhere steam from hot streams and geysers could be seen coming from the ground. We saw upper and lower falls, osprey falls, twin Lakes, Beaver Lake, the Silver and Golden Gates and all sorts of springs and cascades and dozens and dozens of small and large geysers. We didn’t see many animals, just a few moose, 4 deer, few elk and about 25 bears but the other sights were lovely.

Following Firehole River we at last came to Old Faithful where we secured a cabin for the night then went sightseeing. After watching Old Faithful erupt (which it does every hour) we went to the bear feeding grounds, which was fenced and plenty of seats provided. A ranger sat between the bears and the people with his gun. There were 11 black and brown bears came first out of the forest. Then a large bunch of grizzly bears came and the others left and went back into the forest. One old grizzly mother came with her three cubs which sure looked cute. We listened to a ranger giving a very interesting talk on bears and their habits. We watched Old Faithful erupt again then to the amphitheater watched and listened to an illustrated lecture on winter life in Yellowstone. We watched Old Faithful illuminated which was quite a sight. Then to bed for another good night’s rest.

Saturday morning took our last look at the geysers of Yellowstone and back tracked to Madison Junction where we left Yellowstone by the west entrance coming through Idaho where the roads were good but the scenery poor. From Pocatello we went to Lava Hot Springs to see Edith and the girls, but couldn’t find them so pushed on to Preston Idaho and stopped for the night at an auto camp. Sunday morning on to Salt Lake arriving about 1 o’clock. Up Emigration Canyon for lunch then back to view the beautiful grounds in Liberty Park. Then to Rose’s where we cleaned up a bit then we visited the temple grounds and into the tabernacle and listened to an interesting talk then to the bureau of information then the Capitol and other scenic spots of Salt Lake and spent Sunday night with Rose.

Monday, we went visiting and in the afternoon we took Rose and the girls out to Salt Air where we enjoyed our supper—stayed with Rose that night. Tuesday we started home, picking up Mary and her mother at Taylorsville called to see Libbie and my sister May. We drove up American Fork Canyon and came down Provo canyon through beautiful scenery. Had lunch at Aspen Grove then home where we arrived about 6 p.m. happy contented, and very thankful that we had been permitted to enjoy such a Marvelous 9 days together. We had a number of visits together with the other girls and their families and thoroughly enjoyed Erma’s vacation.

While at my sister May’s, she gave me a large framed picture of the home where I was born which I love and shall keep and appreciate as long as I live, as it brings back so many memories of my childhood and girlhood and first motherhood where loving relatives and friends and neighbors gathered in the funeral services and helped us bear the sorrow of laying our first little son away and thousands of other memories come back to me as I gaze at it.

July 26, 1930 when we returned from church we were delighted to find Irma home to visit and take us on another trip so after resting a few days after driving 900 miles in her Dodge car from Modesto, Daddy, Vilda and I accompanied her on a 2200 mile tour through the scenes of Colorado. We left Hinckley July 30 at 11:45 a.m. by way of Holden and up highway 91 to Provo where we turned up Provo Canyon and had lunch in the beautiful Vivian Park leaving at 4 p.m. and drove to Heber City. Then started to climb over dirt roads through pines, aspens and meadows. Coming through the mountains we ran into a flood and hard rain. The weather was cool and we enjoyed it and no harm done. We stopped at Duchesne and had ice cream then drove to Roosevelt Lodge and spent the night in a cabin, $1.25 after a refreshing sleep and breakfast we intended to go to the Indian reservation but found it was too far away, so we continued on to Vernal. We enjoyed this trip then the scenery changed and we had more than 100 miles through barren country through hills and knolls and brush over mostly dirt roads to Craig where there were a number of oil wells. We viewed one in operation from where the scenery began to get better. We did a lot of climbing in Uinta National Forest and on up through the beautiful big pines, through Rabbit Ear Pass, which was thrilling, there were so many large ranches and fat cattle in great pastures all along. When we reached Steamboat Springs we turned off the highway to Fish Creek falls which were lovely. That night we stayed in a cabin at Kremling. Saturday a.m. we left about 7:30 and drove to Sulfur Hot Springs. I took Charles, Irma and Vilda’s picture against the bathhouse and we went through then on to Granby where we took highway no.16 and started through Rocky Mountain Forest Park. The scenery was marvelous, both sides of the road was profuse with beautiful wild flowers and the tall pines so majestic everywhere.

We drove to Grand Lake, where there were many summer homes. We spent some time here watching the motor boats and people bathing in the lovely lake. Finally we reached far above timberline where we found many large patches of snow on all the mountains and it started to rain. We got out and walked around in the snow and viewed the valley below then followed the trail ridge road to the summit, which was 12,183 feet high. Then started down and out of the storm to deep ridge lodge where we stopped for lunch. Here the chipmunks and birds were so tame they came right onto our table and ate crumbs, chipmunks would come up and eat from people’s hand. Irma tried to get a picture of one eating from her hand but there were so many trying to do the same thing it was impossible to get it.

From here we kept on descending over good roads and beautiful scenery ‘till in a few hours, we drove off the main highway and took a side road to a pretty little lake (Bear Lake). It was grand all the way up and back then we struck out on the highway to Estis Park, which has a population of 400, but there must have been at least 3000 tourists there. There were a great many horses kept here for to rent for sight seeing and rodeos.

A girl turned out a great band of horses from a pasture and they ran up the center of the highway with hundreds of cars going and coming on the sides, to me that was quite a sight to see this right on the main street. Here, we had to detour over a very bad road as we had just had a terrible flood. Now we turned onto highway 66 and began to get out of the high mountains. There are a great many large ranches in this part and thoroughbred cattle and horses. We came to Boulder and on to Denver through wonderful crops. We had a hard time locating a cabin but finally found one and had supper and to bed. Sunday a.m. We slept late and as it was fast day, we ate at noon then drop into the city. The streets run in every direction. We enjoyed the sights and ate lunch at a cafe. Then drove out to the beautiful city park and viewed the animals in the park zoo also the beautiful lawns and flowers. We then went back and packed a lunch and took highway 8 and drove through the beautiful Denver parks, 40 in number 68 miles through high mountains and beautiful summer homes of the rich. We stopped at Buffalo Bill’s grave (William Cody) on the summit of a hill where he was buried in 1917 and his wife is buried beside him in 1921. We went through the museum where we viewed many of the relics of his life and Indian history which was very interesting. Then we drove on around the loop and started for camp but getting lost and traveled around some time but finally found it and had a good night’s rest even though it rained very hard.

Monday, we went into Denver and did some shopping, then to York street and watched the circus parade after which we had lunch in a park and then to the circus (Cole bros.) and enjoyed the performances very much. We then went to the stockyards and then home. Monday night Irma took Vilda and I to the Denver Theater and Daddy didn’t want to go. The picture was “Green Pastures” which we enjoyed. The wonderful band was down out of sight but they came up as an elevator would all ready to play and the lovely different colored lights were thrown on them which delighted us all, as well as the grand music. After the show we rode around viewing the beautiful city lights then home and to bed. Tuesday a.m. we went to Montgomery ward’s mail order store and did some shopping then to the L.D.S. mission home where Charles talked for some time to some of the missionaries not being able to find anyone he knew. We then went to the museum in city park and viewed the lovely mounted animals and birds and their nests of eggs and all kinds of wild life both earth, air, and sea huge animals from the ocean.

After lunch in the park, we drove to the Sunken Gardens and then a last look at the city and finally taking highway 85 to the beautiful city of Colorado Springs, one city I shall never forget, then on to Manitou where we stayed for the night in a private home. Wednesday morning it was raining but we drove to the wonderful “Garden of the Gods” stopped at Mineral Springs, then to the “Cave of the Winds” all the way the scenery was grand but we didn’t go in the cave. We then started up Pike’s Peak 14,109 feet high. It was foggy and raining but the road was good and after winding around constantly, climbing for 18 miles we reached the top, but as it was so foggy, it looked like the end of the world and that we could jump off. We watched the train engine climb up the very steep mountain, on a cog railway pulling several cars which was quite a sight. The rest of the party went into the station where souvenirs and relics were kept.

Vilda and Irma sent a telegram from there to their husbands Erma’s in California, and Vilda’s in Woodrow, Utah. Then we drove down over the many hair pin turns ever down, down, down and out to the petrified forest which had been misrepresented and we felt like we had been stung then. Out on highway 24 the roads were slippery, and rather bad as it rained all the time, but we finally reached Salida where we spent the night in a cabin.

Thursday a.m. we drove to the Pancho Hot Springs then on through San Luis valley where we saw mile upon mile of potatoes, yellow clover, lettuce fields and many large ranches. We traveled most of the day through great tall pines and spruces and finally came to Durango and turned off the highway to mesa Verde National Park. We secured a nice cabin lighted and heated with natural gas 22 miles out and spent a grand night among the pines. Friday a.m. we went on into the park and went sight seeing with the auto caravan at 8 o’clock, we visited the old ruins of the basket makers who lived there between 700 and 800 ad then to the old cliff dwellings, a competent forest ranger (female) gave a very interesting description of the dwellings. The rest went down long ladders to a close up but I couldn’t go down but viewed them from the top of the surface. They were built down under ledges, one had 100 rooms in it. After lunch at 1:00 o’clock, we took another tour by auto and viewed the cliff palace and on to spruce tree lodge where it began to rain and hail. Charles and I stayed in the car but Irma and Vilda got a good drenching and climbed up a long ladder and through a small door but enjoyed the trip.

At 4 o’clock we left the park driving back to Durango and started over the million dollar highway which was blasted out of solid rock making a dugway half way up gigantic mountains. That was a very scary road as it was narrow and to look up would almost make one dizzy and to look down was nearly the same but below we could see beautiful flowers and pines. We followed a stream to Silverton a mining settlement and after some trouble trying to locate a place to spend the night found a nice room with 2 comfortable beds in, in a private home. Saturday, we traveled on our way over this beautiful but dangerous highway to Montrose, through apple orchards and great fields of corn, beans and potatoes to Grand Junction where the desert begins. The roads were good but the scenery poor so we made good time and soon crossed the state line into Utah. When we reached Price, we tried to get a cabin for the night but failed so drove on through Spanish Fork Canyon coming out onto 91 at Spanish Fork but couldn’t get a cabin. Finally at 12:00 o’clock located one at Payson and dropped into bed. Sunday, we finished our grand trip arriving home safe and sound and looking forward to another one next year.

Before Irma came, Jennie and Horald and family had spent a month with us and had gone out to McGill and as Irma wanted to see them before she went home, we rested and prepared to go and visit them and Wednesday at 10 o’clock we left for McGill the roads were very bad owing to a heavy rain and flood on Tuesday. So couldn’t make very good time and got stuck in the mud. A female mail driver came along on her way with the mail from Milford to Ely and as she had had a great deal of experience on that highway, helped us out and told us to follow her and when we arrived in McGill we were lucky enough to find Jennie, Horald and all the family at a service station where we stopped for information but I’m sure we couldn’t have found them if we hadn’t have been detained as they were living away up in the mountains in a logging camp. We followed them up for about 15 miles to a beautiful camp. Part of the children had got in our car and part in theirs and when we got there, we discovered that little Jimmie was missing. Blaine got in Erma’s car with her and they hurried back to McGill and found him safe. While they were gone, we cooked the chickens I took out and with other things we had a good supper which we ate on a big table under the trees by a cool stream when they returned. We had a lovely visit singing and talking and I gave several of my humorous readings and the children sang and Jennie and Horald played and sang, a number of their grand duets till 11 o’clock when we went back to Ely and secured cabins and had a good night’s rest.

Thursday morning we visited sister T. George Theobald and Arvilla Swensen then we run up to Ruth to see the big ore pit, then home over very much better roads arriving home about 5 o’clock. Irma stayed and visited the girls awhile, Friday but felt that she must get home as she had been away so long. So she left Saturday after a grand time together. In 1937 she felt like she couldn’t stay so long but came for a week or 2 and we visited with the folks around here and took me and Daddy to Salt Lake to go through the Temple with Verla and Glen and Edith and had a visit with them afterward. They were married on Oct 28,1937. Edith went through with them. The session was a long one as there were 120 missionaries going through for their endowments at 2 p.m. We had lunch and returned home. She went home in a day or two feeling very happy.

In 1939 we had a wonderful trip through parts of California visiting relatives and going to the Golden Gate Exposition and the Grand Worlds Fair. Charles and I accompanied Zola and Lamond and Boyd on the trip leaving Hinckley Apr.3, 1939 at 6:30 a.m. and going to Holden and took highway 91 and went south. We stopped a little while taking pictures of the old home and the school at Manderfield where we spent 2 years and where Don was born. Then on to Beaver where we lived ‘till we moved to Hinckley and on through the settlements to St. George where we had lunch with Mary, Charles’ sister, visited relatives then to view the beautiful L.D.S. temple and on our way. The weather was cool and the roads good.

When we arrived at Mesquite, we visited Charles’ brother Abram and wife and son and wife at the store they keep then on to Las Vegas and got a cabin for the night. Early next morning we took a side road and went up through the pretty Boulder City and on to Boulder Dam which was a grand sight being the highest in the world, 729 feet above bedrock, 650 feet thick at the base and a 45 foot crest forms a highway bridge from wall to wall of the gorge 1180 feet in length connecting transcontinental traffic arteries between Kingman, Arizona and Boulder City, Nevada. Wide enough for 2 lanes of cars and 2 parking lanes with sidewalks on each side of the driveway. We parked the car and went sight seeing. After we had viewed everything above we went in an elevator down 540 feet and walked through a grand passageway for a long distance while a guide explained the wonderful workings below. It was a real thrill when we came to the dividing line of two states and crossed over into Arizona we walked down a number of steps and went outside to view the huge stream of water and the great wall of rock where the men had chiseled out a great gorge. We went down in Nevada and came up in Arizona.

After seeing all the sights there, we went back to Las Vegas and on our way to Jennie’s. When we reached San Bernardino, we took Foothill Boulevard and went West ‘till we came to Baldwin Park and found Jennie and the 7 children all well but Jim was away to work and we didn’t see him but had a nice visit with the rest staying 3 nights Wednesday, we took Jennie and Blaine with us to view Forest Lawn Memorial Grounds which was beautiful. The rolling hills were covered with green grass and flowers and beneath reposed the bodies of thousands of loved ones laid to rest. The walls inside the buildings were also covered with Markers filled with flowers and bodies reposed in vaults. The beautiful painted windows and lovely snow-white statues were impressive to look at. We went into the “Wee Kirk of the Heather” and as it was near Easter Sunday it was banked with Easter Lilies from one end to the other. After visiting Lamond's relatives in Long Beach, and Libbie and Steveat Southgate, we went home to Jennie’s. We also drove to Corona and visited Clarence but Joe was away. We had a lovely time with Jennie and family and took pictures then bade them farewell and taking the coast highway through beautiful green mountains and wild flowers skirted the ocean for a long way then through more green hills and got a cabin for the night at San Luis Obispo.

In the morning got an early start. During the journey we took a side road and visited the Redwoods then to Hayward to visit Frank and Vera and Bobbie Lou. They were glad to see us and we were made very comfortable and enjoyed our stay with them very much. It was Saturday night and Irma and Gordon came from Modesto in their car and took us over the Oakland Bay Bridge and San Francisco and to the fishing wharf, then back over the bridge again and to Frank’s then they returned home.

Sunday, Frank didn’t have to go to work so he took us all in his car. We ferried over the bay in a large ship, then drove the car over the Golden Gate Bridge. We stopped in Golden Gate Park and enjoyed the carnival, visited cliff house and watched a great many seals play on the rocks out in the ocean. This was a beautiful place. Before we came here, Frank took us to San Francisco to the aquarium where we enjoyed ourselves watching 1200 different kinds of fish. There were so many different kinds and sizes I didn’t know there were so many kinds in the world. Then we went around by Alcatraz and San Quentin prisons, which were out in the ocean then through Berkeley and Oakland and back over the Oakland Bay Bridge. As it was Easter we went to the Easter services in the evening at the L.D.S. chapel in Oakland then home. After a very delightful day and visit with the children, Vera fixed up lovely lunches every day and we always found some grand spot to eat them.

Monday, Irma came up in her car and took us all over the wonderful Oakland Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate Exposition which was the “World’s Fair” on beautiful Treasure Island. This was a man-made island in the bay that joined Oakland and San Francisco. We parked the car and the children knowing how hard it was for me to walk, sent Charles and I on the elephant train. This was a long string of cars to take people to the park. They walked and we forgot to appoint a meeting place and as the train started out Zola said “where shall we meet you” and as there wasn’t any time to think and we didn’t know anything about the place so I called back “at the play grounds’ knowing the children would want to go there, not realizing that the play grounds which we learned when we got there, was the gay way and was considerable distance from where we were so we went immediately over there and to our surprise it covered many blocks, of play equipment and large buildings and there were 19,000 people on the island that day. I couldn’t walk around much but sat on a seat moving from one place to another to watch the crowds go by in hopes that I might see some one I knew, Charles, would get me settled then go hunting as time went by I got worried as we didn’t even know the license number of the car and it was late in the afternoon and we would have to be out of there at 10 p.m. I asked a cop if there was any broadcasting station where lost people could find their friends and he said “no” and finally I got so panicky and Charles came back with no luck time and again I finally after 2 full hours of worry cried and prayed earnestly to my Heavenly Father. I told him we were lost and plead with him to help us find someone and as soon as Charles came back we went together and walked as straight as an arrow to Zola and Lamond. As we were walking along I said to Charles, ”I don’t know what we’re walking away up here for but found out we were guided by an unseen power and didn’t forget to thank him for our help and the grand way our testimony was strengthened again as it had been so many times in our past lives. The children, 6 of them, went hunting us. Part one way and part another and 2 on the sight seeing car to watch the immense crowds and we were all very happy when we all got together again but as long as I live I’ll never forget that experience and quick answer to prayer.

They had 8 large registers on a very large building with figures so large they could be seen plainly where everyday and all the time could be seen the actual number of people on the island. This island was the most gorgeous place I have ever been in all my life or ever hope to see. At night beautiful colored lights threw beauty all over everything. After we all got together we ate lunch and went into the “Cavalcade of the Golden West, where was portrayed growth of California from the day when Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean down to the day when the train from the East and the one from the West met and the Golden Spike was driven when they met at Ogden, Utah. I never shall forget the thrill that went over me when I stepped through that door and beheld the grandest sight I had ever seen in my life as the colorings and costumes and everything was simply grand. We sure enjoyed the Cavalcade. Then came out and the rest went to see the sights but I was content to sit down and watch the beautiful ever-changing color fountain which changes every few minutes, from orange, to red, to blue and lavender also the steps which were painted heavenly blue and the water which ran over them looked blue. There were a number of these fountains on the island.

Ten o’clock came too soon and we went and got the car and went home. Frank had to work that day but Tuesday he got off and Irma came again. He took us all in his car and we didn’t have any trouble. But all enjoyed the wonderful sights and had a meeting place so each could see the wonderful things that interested them most. Charles and I went together and saw some beautiful and instructive things but I couldn’t get around so good, so sat and enjoyed the sights and let him go. We had our lunch so stayed ‘till closing time then went to Frank’s very happy and longing to spend many more days in that beautiful and wonderful place but all things must end sometime. There were tall lamps that lighted the grounds up and each contained 100-40 watt bulbs. It made the grounds almost like day. Irma and Frank each gave me a lovely breast pin and Vera gave me a letter opener and Charles gave me a felt and one leather souvenirs. We went into the television building and I talked through it and Charles heard my voice and saw my picture just like life from a distance 8 saw a pen of kangaroos and one of ostriches also a diver who brought up a large octopus and I shall never forget the many suction cups on its many long feelers (tentacles), we saw many other interesting and beautiful scenes.

Wednesday morning, after a delightful visit with Frank and family, we bade them farewell and took our departure for Modesto to visit Irma and Gordon. She had a hotel and he had a restaurant and they made us very comfortable.

Thursday morning Irma put up a lovely lunch and took us in her car to view the beautiful Yosemite National Park. When we had traveled 150 miles the road was blocked with snow and closed. A road gang was repairing the other road and we couldn’t get through for at least 2 hours and couldn’t come back till the next day so we reluctantly turned around and started back feeling that we had been cheated out of a grand treat. But the delightful ride over the mountain roads was grand and we all agreed it had been a fine outing anyway. In the evening Gordon took us to see all the interesting things around Modesto.

Friday morning after a fine breakfast in his restaurant we bade them farewell and started our homeward journey. The trip was delightful ‘till soon after we left lovely Lake Tahoe we ran into snow piled nearly as high as the car on both sides from then on we came through snow as we came through Nevada, which was some change after the beautiful green hills and lovely flowers of California. A foot of snow had fallen and the roads weren’t too good. We camped for the night in a couple of cabins then came home Saturday safe, well and happy after a never to be forgotten trip of 13 days.

In September Irma came home and we had a grand time visiting the folks around here. Soon after that Frank and Bobbie came but we were disappointed as Vera couldn’t come. For a long time I had had trouble with my nose and throat and wasn’t well. I didn’t know what was the matter and the doctor didn’t seem to know. So doctor Wright gave me a specialist’s address in Salt Lake and told me to go to him and have some radium treatments.

On the 16th of November I went up on the bus and went straight to the Salt Lake clinic. Where the Ridges nose and throat specialist had his office. He decided I needed radium in my nose and electric treatment in my throat, and gave me an appointment for the next morning. So I spent the afternoon in the temple and the night with Sister Reid. On the 17th after I had my treatments I told Doctor Ridges of my other condition and he took me to Doctor Gill Richards who told me after a test was taken that I had a very bad case of sugar diabetes and I must go to the L.D.S. hospital for treatments. He made all the arrangements and called a cab and sent me right there. I weighed and learn to figure and weigh on gram scales everything I ate and take insulin 3 times a day. I stayed in the hospital taking treatments of different kinds going 2 or 3 times a week to the clinics to receive treatments for my nose and throat. ‘Till the 16th of December when I was released to come home. The doctor cautioned me never to get off that diet and that I would have to use insulin the rest of my life, but he didn’t take into consideration that God is the greatest physician of all and my greatest reason for recording this incident is the wonderful testimony I have to bear of his kindness to me in answer to prayers offered up for me in the beautiful sacred temple at Manti. (As my diabetes was cured after a blessing from Charles and the prayers of other people who loved and cared about me and it never bothered me again)(last comment added by grand-daughter Jennie May Lee Adam on 10 July 1992.)

No comments:

Post a Comment